This is a devotional from the book 'Daily Steps for God Chicks' by Holly Wagner.
You are better off to have a friend than to be all alone, because then you will get more enjoyment out of what you earn. If you fall, your friend can help you up. But if you fall without having a friend nearby, you are really in trouble. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, CEV
You and I were not created to live out the journey of life alone. We were designed for companionship....for friendship. If we are going to fulfill what we were created to fulfill, we will do it by staying connected to the people who join us in life. We were not created to solve all life's problems on our own. We do not have all the answers. We need each other.
I had a very sad conversation with someone the other day. She is in the midst of a serious health challenge....she is basically fighting for her life. I had not met this woman before, but someone suggested that I call her....so I did. When she picked up the phone, one of the first things out of her mouth was, "I am so afraid. I am all alone." That broke my heart, because no one should have to go through what this woman is going through all on her own. I quickly mobilized some of my friends, and we brought her into our world.
So, how did she get this way?
She chose it.
I know that sounds harsh, but the only way we could possibly be alone is if we have made a series of decisions that have led to our aloneness. While this woman was busy doing other things, people were exiting her world. While she was busy with her life, she gave no time to connect with the right kind of people....the people who stick with you through the good and the bad.
And now she is alone. Well, actually, not anymore....because we have invaded! There are girls going to her house, driving her to the doctor, praying for her....basically just being her friends. She can no longer say that she is alone.
Don't let the busyness of life cause you to neglect the value of friends. So many things pull at our time, and if we are not careful, we will find ourselves spending little to no time with the friends whom God has sent to join us on life's adventure. I believe that the friendships we build are so important-not only for our happiness, but also for our success in life.
Which friend can you call today.....just to check in? How about sending that person a card?
Monday, July 28, 2008
Friendship
at 6:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Very good post!
That really speaks to me as a stay-at-home mom. It's so easy to get completely shut-in with the kids and ignore the rest of the world when you don't have to leave home for work. I have to make myself re-connect with people regularly. That's why I love blogging and e-mail, so I can keep in touch with people that I can't physically see very often. Still, it's a goal of mine to get in the habit of seeing more people more often.
Great Cedar Point pics, btw!
Post a Comment